Phase One, the Muskrat Falls Project, includes construction of an 824 MW hydroelectric generating facility, over 1,600 km of transmission lines across the province, and the Maritime Link between Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. The project is an essential component of Nalcor’s commitment to sustainability and climate change management. Once in service, power from Muskrat Falls will help meet the province’s long-term energy needs by providing clean, renewable energy for future generations.
The construction and operation of the Muskrat Falls generating station and transmission lines will mean:
- Significant employment and economic benefits for Newfoundlanders and Labradorians
- Long-term, clean, renewable power – 98% sustainable energy
- A reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from the province’s electricity system
- Diversification of the Newfoundland and Labrador economy
- A link to North America’s electricity grid for exports to allow for the sale of excess power to markets
Nalcor Energy is Newfoundland and Labrador’s energy company. We are a Crown corporation headquartered in St. John’s, and the company’s business includes the development, generation, transmission and sale of electricity; the exploration, development, production and sale of oil and gas; industrial fabrication; and energy marketing.